Thursday, April 28, 2011

30 weeks 3 days - April 28, 2011

To my Two "Little Angels," Sophie & Stella,

Blogging in the Hospital!
You've definitely made your presence known to the world already. I can tell that you are both little anxious girls who can't wait for much...kind of like your mommy! On Monday night, mommy went into labor while at Paul Smith's College evaluating final Marketing presentations with two colleagues, Andy and Jon. Now, I'm only 30 weeks along so the last thing I was thinking was that I was in labor, but you two are persistent little buggers and kept putting pressure on my back. I was in so much back pain when I left Paul Smiths and drove home, I had to call daddy and have him meet me outside to help get me out of the car! Daddy helped me to the couch and I laid down and put a hot pack on my side. This seemed to help for a while and then I'd be in excruciating pain again. Looking back, there was definitely a pattern and had I thought for a moment that I was in labor, I would have recognized the pattern immediately. At about 11:30 - 4 hours into labor - we decided to go to the hospital in Saranac Lake. We got there and they rushed us up to the OB unit, where they announced that I was indeed in labor at 30 weeks. Girls...mommy almost lost it. I was freaking out, looking at daddy and kept saying how scared I was. I knew that at 30 weeks, your lungs would not be developed and that you would be really tiny and all I could think about was that we just were not ready for you to meet us yet. Daddy called your Aunt Ashley, and she rushed over to the hospital to be with us, just in case something happened. Hopefully my painful screams wouldn't scare her away! The doctor did an exam and said I was effaced and 2 centimeters dialated. Daddy and I have been going to birthing class, so we knew what this meant and knew it had to be stopped or you two would be entering this world a wee bit early. They gave me some medication to suppress the contractions and then gave me a steroid to help speed up the development of your lungs just in case you did come too early.

I kept telling everyone that you two think it is time to come, because Daddy and I built your cribs Sunday night and said how excited we were to meet you, especially since the nursery is now coming together!

We got really lucky while at AMC Hospital, because an ambulance from CVPH in Plattsburgh happened to be at AMC and offered to transport us to Fletcher Allen. We got all ready and daddy hopped in the car and we all drove to Fletcher Allen at 1:30 am. When we got to Fletcher Allen, they wheeled us up to Labor and Delivery which has to be one of the most beautiful places in a hospital. The rooms are so nice with the gorgeous views of Burlington, Lake Champlain, and the Adirondack Mountains...not that I could really appreciate any of it but it was still nice. The nursing staff up there was so attentive and they got me settled right in and starting preparing us for the worst...what would happen if we delivered you guys that night. The pediatricians came in and explained that you would be small but that you have a great chance of survival at 30 weeks. Every day that you stay in mommy's belly is one day closer to fully developed. You would have to stay in the NICU for close to 7 or 8 weeks while your brain developed and you both learned how to eat and breath on your own.

So Tuesday, I stayed up in Labor and Delivery all day while they monitored me around the clock. The contractions started to subside enough that they allowed me to finally eat some normal food which tasted so good! When you are pregnant and have also gone through a lot, your emotions are very crazy. I cried when they brought me my food because I hadn't eaten anything in almost 24 hours and it was a sign that we were taking a turn for the better! Yesterday, they finally released me from Labor and Delivery and checked me into my "semi-permanent" room on the 5th floor in the Mother/Baby wing of Fletcher Allen. This is where everyone goes when they are on supervised bedrest or are recovering after a baby. My room is much smaller, the view is of another wing of patient rooms, and the windows do not open. Not quite my idea of an "extended stay" but what are you going to do? At least I have a private room to myself. Mommy and daddy got settled in and then they started doing routine tests. The doctors finally came in to talk with us and gave us the news that I would not be going home this week like I had expected, but that they were keeping me here until at least May 9th which is when you both hit the 32 week mark. I was totally not ready for that news and was very emotional. How was I going to spend 12 more days in the hospital without going crazy? How was I going to do it without daddy here and being so far away from home?

Daddy and I put a plan together and he drove home last night to gather up lots of belongings so I would have the stuff here that I routinely use and stuff to keep me busy. Adworkshop is gathering up my files and laptop so that I can remotely work from the hospital all next week, which will make me feel like I am accomplishing something and keep my mind off of being in the hospital away from friends and family. I really hope that I am only going to be staying in the hospital until May 9th and no longer. I know it is important for you girls to stay in mommy's tummy, but hopefully you will be good little girls and give me the next 11 days without any trouble so I can go home and finish getting your nursery ready for you! I still have to finish making your crib blankets and bumper pads.

I love you both so much and as much as I can't wait to meet you, I hope me and daddy don't meet you for at least a few more weeks!

Hugs and Kisses,
Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Positive comments are always recommended! Hope you leave one