Monday, May 23, 2011

34 weeks 0 days - May 23, 2011

34 weeks
Belly Measures: 43 inches
Weight: 175.6 lbs
Sophie & Stella,
So it's been 2 weeks exactly since the last time I wrote you girls. I am in deed writing from the comfort of our couch and have been enjoying every last minute of being home! Let me recap the past two weeks for you...

My 11 bed pillows!
Our last day at the hospital, two weeks ago today we had a growth ultrasound up on Labor & Delivery. The ultrasound went well but mommy couldn't really make anything out! You girls are getting so big that both your heads won't fit within the ultrasound screen anymore. The sonographer had a hard time getting measurements of Sophie's head because she is SO LOW that we couldn't really get it. The tech did all the measurements of both you girls and determined that Stella weighs about 4lbs 5oz and Sophie weighs 3 lbs 7oz. Because Sophie is trailing quite a bit behind Stella, they are a little worried about whether or not she is getting enough blood, etc. so they've issued Umbilical Cord doppler screenings weekly to make sure she is getting enough blood and is just a little smaller in nature. Mommy got released from the hospital that Monday afternoon and was so excited! There was another woman from Lake Placid (Janis Curtis Atkinson) checking in to Shep 5 when I was leaving. She is having Mono/Mono twins which means that her twins are in the same sac and share a placenta. These types are very high risk because they can entangle their cords, so she had to check in at 28 weeks and gets monitored every 8 hours to make sure the babies are safe and sound.

The doctors released me and said to "Take it Easy." I was put on modified bed-rest and was told I could walk around "within reason." Not quite sure what "within reason" means but I take it as I can walk around as much as I need to until I get tired! Probably not what they mean, but it is quite an ambiguous doctor's order. We got home Monday night and I was so excited to see Desmo and Ohlins and they were excited to see mommy. They did not leave my side for the rest of the night! On Tuesday, I went back to work. I'm working from home 4 hours each morning trying to keep up with the daily office tasks and transitioning my accounts over to my boss. The first week I was home, the weather was absolutely beautiful so I couldn't wait to get outside after work each day. My "bedrest" occurred outside on the deck in a bikini. I've gotten some decent color now which is great because I was so busy last summer I pretty much missed it. 

Last week - 33 weeks 0 days, we had another doctor's appointment. We will start having them every week now until you girls are born. Our NST went well and then we had a Bio-Physical Profile (BPP) Ultrasound. This is a 30 minute "test" for each baby. You both need to pass a handful of tests that include heartbeat, measurement of amniotic fluid, 3 rapid movements and breathing. The breathing is neat because you're basically "practicing" breathing by breathing amniotic fluid in and out; it's really tricky to catch though. If you don't pass the BPP or your NST is not great, they send you back up to Labor & Delivery for additional testing. Sophie passed with flying colors in under 9 minutes and Stella decided to sleep through the entire test until the last minute and a half when she woke up, started breathing and moving. Mommy was SO happy that we passed everything! Also, Sophie's doppler was done and seems to be fine; she is getting plenty of blood flow through her umbilical cord.

Changing Table from Tobin & Annie


This past week it has been raining a lot. 
The weather has been warm and humid but we've had rain most every day. I've kept my afternoons busy by working on the nursery getting it all ready for you girls. Mommy built your changing table, re-organized the closet, and washed & put away all your baby clothes. I'm a little OCD when it comes to organization, so all the drawers, shelves, and hanging rods have labels so that we know what size everything is. I can't wait to see you wearing all the cute clothes that you've received from friends and family.

Daddy and I got your car seats finally and tried them out with the stroller frame that Jacki & Eric Smith got us for our baby shower. We also put together the Pack 'n Play that you girls will be sleeping in when you come home. Funny though, Desmo and Ohlins love the Pack 'n Play and always beg to get in and lay down in the bassinets! It is so cute to watch them but hopefully we don't have any trouble with them when you take the bassinets over. 

The Pups taking over the Bassinets!


















Personalized Blankets for Sophie & Stella!

I also finished your baby blankets. I had bought this beautiful houndstooth fabric and a really soft white fabric to make the blankets. I had started them before I went into the hospital but finally finished them the other day and personalized them with your names tonight. I am completely in love with them and I hope you like them as much as me. I'm now working on the crib comforters and bumper pads.

So Mommy and Daddy had another appointment today. You both passed your NST and BPP and everything seems to be going fine. Mommy is starting to get lots of fluid in my legs and feet. They are getting quite large and start hurting if I've been on them for a long period of time. The doctor says not to worry about it and to keep my feet up as much as possible. I'm very lucky though since this is the only "weight gain" i've noticed outside of the belly area. It is quite crazy to see the rapid weight gain I've experienced in the past two weeks. At 33 weeks I weighed 169 lbs, gaining 5 lbs since week 32 and now I've gained another 6 lbs since last week! I'm starting to really feel my weight and get tired pretty easily. When we left our appointment today, the nurse handed us our appointment schedule through the end of June. When she gave it to me she said, "here are all your appointments, but frankly we don't think you'll make it to your appointments next week!" Let's see what happens. Daddy chose June 4 and I chose either June 1 or June 3 as when you will be born. Uncle Tim thinks you'll be born on June 2, so we'll see if any of us are even close. 

I cannot wait to meet you girls and it seems to be the only thing I can think of now. I have funny dreams about your deliveries. Everything from having to be life-flighted to Denver, CO ( don't ask) to just standing there and you both pop out without me even noticing. Crazy dreams...but I'm excited to see how everything will actually go. Right now, you are both head down and facing my spine which is ideal. Hopefully that does not change as it is rare to have twins both in the ideal position for a natural birth. 

I can't wait to hold you both in my arms. At this point, I know you could come any minute. Me and Daddy are all ready for your arrival! We love you so much.

Love, 
Mommy

1 comment:

  1. Just wanted to introduce myself and say "hi". I'm Scott Randall's wife, Andrea. We have Quinn who is just over 3, and 20 month old twins, Paige and Aiden. I wish you the best of luck and happiness. Love the girls names. If you need ANY advice or just someone to talk to, feel free to email me!

    ReplyDelete

Positive comments are always recommended! Hope you leave one